The Log Cabin located
at the Children's Animal Farm originally came from near Goderich
Ontario. In 1930, Mrs. Margaret Spaulding, the daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. W.J. Hanna, bought the Log Cabin from the Geddes Family. The
Cabin was taken apart and floated down Lake Huron in a log boom
to Lakeshore Road. Here it was reassembled and a wing was added.
The Log Cabin had
an upstairs with bedrooms and a downstairs with living quarters.
In 1938, the Carriage House was built. In reality, it was a garage
with a billiard room and a guest room upstairs.
When Margaret Spaulding
died, her son Thomas Spaulding inherited it. Mr. Lorne Hay, builder,
subdivider and City Alderman bought the buildings and tore down
the added wing. After his death, Mrs. Hay, fearing the threat from
shore erosion, gave the Log Cabin to the City of Sarnia to be a
Through the generosity
of the Lorne Hay Family, the City of Sarnia received the Log Cabin
and the Carriage House that presently sit at the Children's Animal
Farm at Canatara Park.
were moved in one piece (as opposed to being dismantled) from the
Hay property East of Modeland Road on the lake side of Lakeshore
Road, in May of 1971. It is estimated that the original Cabin would
be close to 100 years old, however through time, renovations have
been necessary and some parts of the building are bound to be somewhat